For many of us, a home isn’t a home unless there’s a dog. Our furry family members bring so much joy, comfort and laughter to our homes, and in most cases they leave around evidence of their fluffy waggedy tails all throughout the house! Depending on the breed it can be a daily chore keeping all the hair vacuumed up and it’s impossible to go over every square inch of the house with a lent roller. However, there are some breeds that are hypoallergenic and less likely to shed all over your furniture. So in case you’re curious or thinking about getting a pet in the near future that is more hypoallergenic here’s our top 10 picks!
1.BICHON FRISE- a smaller dog breed, but completely allergen free! They’re smart and friendly and absolutely adorable!
2. MALTESE- this breed is another small breed, and similar to the Bichon in looks, but its coat is silky. They’re sweet and cuddly and perfect for allergy sufferers.
3. SHIH TZU- is loyal and sweet natured. Great for allergy sufferers as well and is not prone to shedding.
4. POODLE- although they need regular maintenance to keep their curly fur free of tangles, they’re largely free of allergens and are nearly odorless! They’re a very smart breed as well. They come in toy, miniature, and standard sizes.
5. LABRADOODLE- mixed with Labrador retriever and poodle, this breed sheds lightly if any thanks to the genes it gets from its poodle side. They’re friendly dogs with lots of energy and make great family pets.
6. WEST HIGHLAND TERRIER- AKA, the Westie. A loyal, friendly, active smaller dog breed with a double coat. They’re hypoallergenic and shed lightly if at all, and make great watch dogs!
7. SCOTTISH TERRIER- this pooch is low maintenance when it comes to grooming. A smaller breed, with cute short legs, and a long life span of 12+ years.
8. TIBETAN TERRIER- this medium sized terrier although quite fluffy, is hypoallergenic. They have very little shedding, but their coat does require frequent grooming. They’re cute and cuddly as a teddy bear!
9. YORKSHIRE TERRIER= also known as the Yorkie. Yorkshires have hypoallergenic coats that shed little to none. They’re playful and make loyal companions. They’re great at hunting rodents, something they were originally bred for and they also make great watch dogs.
10. SCHNAUZER- coming in sizes miniature, standard and giant and all having the same wiry shed-free coat, which makes them low maintenance when it comes to grooming. This breed is very loyal and playful!
There’s many more hypoallergenic breeds, but theses are our top picks and tend to be the most popular breeds!